Recent Updates Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama is recommending that the city administration legalize prostitution in certain areas…
“Legalizing a prostitution site would be a solution because no matter how hard we try, we will never be able to eradicate prostitution. It will always exist as long as humans exist.”
Ahok’s proposal makes an interesting contrast to the approach of Indonesia’s second-largest city, Surabaya, where the mayor last year ordered the shut-down of one of the oldest prostitution zones. the Doly district.
But rather than debate the different approaches, how about the way it’s reported.
The Jakarta Post accurately notes that the hooker industry operates in plain sight and in various places across the city.
But then it offers a somewhat selective snapshot of these ‘various places,’ naming three here in Jakarta and one in Bandung.
There are several illegal red-light districts in Jakarta, including Kalijodo in West Jakarta, Boker in East Jakarta and Bongkaran in Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta.
- Kali Jodo
- Well, Kali Jodo would be quite a site, or sight, if properly developed, using its potentially picturesque waterside location.
- But Ahok himself has threatened to have it erased.
- However, as constituted at present, it is certainly not upmarket, though its little bars do serve a decent beer at a decent price. I know at least one expat who likes to drop by entirely for that reason.
- I’ve no info on the other two areas, but suspect they too cater for the low end of the market.
- Hence I am moved to ask why the JP doesn’t name (and shame?) most of the upmarket hotels, 5-star variety, where slappers swarm, especially on ladies’ nights.
- After 10pm, when they weary of their Blok M endeavours, they arrive in droves, and those hotels are awash with rich foreigners…
- ….and even the occasional Islamist fanatic party functionary, like the one who became a headline last year!
- – Blok M’s Jalan Falatehan
- Nor is the intrepid reporter even seemingly aware of Blok M, where many, if not most, bars on Jalan Falatehan teem with kupu2 malam, ‘night butterflies, ‘ who aim to ensnare a moneyed expat.
- Not all expats here are moneyed by any stretch of the imagination, but in the eyes of the butterflies,and certainly compared to the poor local patrons at Kali Jodo, every foreigner is fairly affluent.
- Nor is there any mention of Jalan Jaksa, a somewhat pale shadow of the night-life hub it was ten to fifteen years ago, but nevertheless a centre for back-packer budget travellers and the less affluent resident aliens, and thus for less avaricious girls on the make.
- It used to be a lot of fun, but is now being gentrified…boring, yeah?
- If Ahok is serious in his aim to limit prostitution to one official centre, is he going to tackle what happens on those seamy, steamy streets, or in the expensive bars of those glitzy hotels?
- Doesn’t sound like it.
- SatPol PP
- We see on our tv news, from time to time, ridiculous razia (raids) by SatPol PP civic militia, dragging hapless young (or not so young) ladies off on their trucks.
- But never yet have I heard of a raid on the fancy haunts of five-star tourists and businessmen.
He suggested that the city administration provide one apartment building as a prostitution site where visitors would need to provide identification…
- ONE apartment block?
For a city of between ten and twenty million souls? Queues stretching a mile and a half down the road outside, where irate wives and girl-friends could cruise by in bajaj to spot errant menfolk and hand-bag them?
Methinks our good Governor underestimates the L.Q. of the populace!
But Lust Quotient or not, methinks in reality that Ahok is not expecting to get too far with this scheme.
- “I understand that this idea would be impossible to implement, especially in our country where everyone claims to be pure from sin. But if anyone has a better idea, I would like to hear it,” Ahok said.
- Aaah, at least he’s not lost his sense of humour!
- And I do wonder if he’s floated this idea simply to annoy the IslamoNazi element, who hate him because he is not only a plain-speaker but also a Christian and an ethnic Chinese.
- The white-shirt thugs of the ‘Islam Defenders Front’ are still mounting weekly demos to protest his presence in City Hall, so perhaps Ahok’s other words were meant as a jibe at their twisted view of women.
- Ahok said that the city would also give “religious guidance” to the sex workers…
If that’s the plan, let’s hope the city would make sure that the ‘religious guidance‘ would be ‘given’ by decent people – not foul fanatics.
I still shudder at the way West Java Police handed over defenceless children to rabid sectarians for ‘spiritual guidance!’Muslim School Burned by Angry Crowd – Police Enlist IslamoNazis to Counsel Kids!
As the old song has it, best be leavin’ well enough alone!
Just watched an unusually balanced report on EuroNews, about a beautiful Egyptian gal who decided she wanted to look like a woman and dispensed with the scarf of subjugation.
The backward bints where she worked instantly refused to speak to her, gave her the cold shoulder in every possible way – typical of the self-righteous cows who take perverse pride in flaunting their second-class citizen status.
But what was also interesting was the flashback photos of Egyptian women in the 1950s and 1960s. I’d been there, in the mid-1980s, and the people were friendly and polite. Certainly, a lot of the (very attractive ) women then were un-bagged.
But twenty years previous to that?
I was so surprised that I checked Google photo archives to see for myself.
- None of that shrouding crap back then!
And none of that primitive crap about separate bathing that sectarian fanatics are demanding in Australia and Canada.
There are plenty more photos of the old much more civilised Egypt on this link.
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/1960s-egypt Let’s hope some day all the Middle East will once more reenter the modern world.
- I’d been tempted to post on that abominable woman who holds the position of Mayor of Baltimore but she changes her opinions faster than a Jakarta expat running towards a bar near closing time.
- Initially, my plan was to congratulate her on her forthright denunciation of those foul savages in her city as ‘thugs.’
- That word sums them up perfectly, but many pinko pukes won’t tell it like it is.
- And neither, alas, did Her Honor.
- Within a day, I think, she APOLOGISED!
- Imagine anyone, never mind the mayor of a once-great city, grovelling to scum?
- The primitive mob destruction of her city required deployment of security forces with orders to shoot-to-kill rioters on sight.
- Instead, six cops have been arrested, in what looks like a worse act of appeasement than Big Apple Mayor De Blasio’s betrayal of NYPD.
- But enough decent Americans quickly told her off.
- That of course excludes Obama, who has no doubt been watching the hoodlums burning cop cars and thinking, in his typical racist way, that those look like the sons he never had!
- Instead I let my gaze stray across the Atlantic, to the British Isles.
- What a collection of commie ratbags!
- Thanks to Conservative Home for a neat little article (link below) but especially for the list of the speakers at a rally. It’s designed to support the disgraced ex-Mayor of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
- Weyman Bennett, joint secretary of Unite Against Fascism (and a senior member of the Socialist Workers Party)
- John McLoughlin, Branch Secretary of the Unison trade union in Tower Hamlets (who can be seen here alleging Lutfur’s critics are islamophobes),
- Salma Yaqoob, former leader of Respect,
- The odious Lindsey German, of the Stop the
- Andrew Murray, Chief of Staff at Len McCluskey’s Unite the Union (also a member of the Communist Party of Britain,apologist for Stalin and advocate of “solidarity” with North Korea)
- John Rees, a spokesman for Owen Jones’ People’s Assembly (and the partner of the aforementioned Lindsey German)
- I had to stop there and figure out what ‘partner’ means. Lindsey can be a bloke’s name or a chick’s name – so does it mean boy-friend or girl-friend. Or are they not only grotesque but ‘gay’ subversives?
- Never mind – these days, leftists wouldn’t be offended if mistaken for queers.
- On with the motley!
- Lutfur Rahman himself.
- AND …one of prospective Prime Minister Red Ed’s close comrades!
- Christine Shawcroft, Labour Party NEC”. , http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2015/04/labour-nec-member-to-speak-at-rally-supporting-corrupt-ex-mayor-lutfur-rahman.html
- So the Labour Party, at its most senior levels, is infested with people unashamed to collaborate with corruption addicts, marxist fans of despotism and enemies of freedom whose thug gangs openly use violence against political opponents.
- Government Links to Thug Gangs In Jakarta? How About in London?
- But before the Tories who read this start pointing fingers, don’t forget who is also a sponsor of the UAF storm-troop outfit. A man who only yesterday was prattling hypocritically about freedom.
I see a media storm is breaking over that overbearing ass in Melbourne. Arogansi Dosen Melbourne – Dasar Bego Diskriminator!
- University of Swinburne’s Dr. Julian Oldmeadow
No wonder – it’s been much of the day since I heard of his infantile tantrum and I’m still simmering. His bullying of young students will fuel the xenophobes in Indonesia, who never need much fuelling, but still welcome new opportunities to exacerbate tensions.
It’s easy to bark back at the clown Oldmeadow. All bloggers bark, but how about some PRACTICAL steps in response?
So I’ve been thinking.
Having read what he surely doesn’t believe anyone will see as a meaningful apology – it’s riddled with an evidently engrained determination to push his own prejudice down everyone else’s throat – it seems to me that his employers should be faced with a clear choice.
Stop trying to get their paws on the big bucks they earn by recruitment of Indonesian students …
Show Swinburne is serious about welcoming young people from this rather nice country by dismissing the bully and hiring somebody more tolerant of other points of view.
So how about sending them a message? Email contacts galore here- http://www.swinburne.edu.au/contacts-campuses/contact/
Just say what you think of Oldmeadow, tell them they should fire the fool, and advise them that Indonesians do not enrol in foreign colleges to be treated like lepers by jumped-up babblers.
Not that Swinburne is the only culprit.
One of my commenters has brought my attention to the Australian Catholic University’s sudden establishment of ‘scholarships,’ to honour the dead drug-smugglers. Surely a novel concept of ‘martyrdom’ – even PM Abbott has expressed puzzlement over the Papal lapdogs’ Pablovian performance.
And in fact the Catholic clowns in charge there are quite blatant in their intention to use the ‘scholarships’ as a means of indoctrination of young Indonesians into the left-lib absurdity that the death penalty itself is unacceptable.
–…the university’s vice-chancellor, Prof Greg Craven, said in a statement “in a small but symbolic way, the writing by Indonesian students on the sanctity of life would be an ongoing contribution toward the eventual abolition of the death penalty in Indonesia…”
Muddying the waters again.
The dead drug-smugglers – one issue. Capital punishment in general – another, separate issue.
How many Catholic Australians, like decent Australians of all faiths and none, rejoiced, like me and most expats in Jakarta, when those Bali Bomb swine were put to death?
Of course the death penalty is perfectly in order for heinous crimes like terrorist murder, among other things.
These self-righteous college crack-pots need to be put in their place. Which is NOT in the political arena.
Ernie is discussing. Toggle Comments
And another cut n paste. though my visitor has come and one.–Always more at ease after some agreeable company, but I had a lot to do around this modest dwelling today, so blogging had to take a back-seat until domestic SNAFUs are resolved.However, we need to look at Amnesty International, whose annual conference in the UK has thrown out, by 468 votes to 461, a demand that the organisation campaign against the Islamist-stoked resurgence of Nazi-style anti-Semitism in Britain.––Studies show violent anti-Semitic attacks rose 48 percent in Britain in 2014. The resolution was the only one defeated during the entire conference.And yet their own mission statement claims that Amnesty is a “worldwide movement of people campaigning to protect human rights… Around the world we protect people and communities who come under attack.”––We all know who is behind the attacks on Jews, in Britain, and Europe and around the world. Outside the lunatic fringes of British politics……there are no native British nazi think-alikes to be seen.So…?
Why is anyone surprised when Amnesty recoils from this call to arms?