Another ‘Moderate’ Muslim Hanging Out With Da Gang?
But alas, it’s becoming ever more difficult to highlight the truth about Indonesia, which is that most Muslims here are not Arabised klutzes who want a caliphate, but, on the contrary, rather nice, normal people whom I mix with on a regular basis.
We’ve seen, in the recent past, leaders like the Mayor of Bogor,...
Bogor Mayor Bima Arya
….once hailed as a ‘moderate,’ who got elected then continued the oppressive policy of his Islamist predecessor, targetting local Christians, denying them access to their own church despite a Supreme Court ruling in their favour.
Now we have another so-called ‘moderate’ – a fellow famed for his ‘moderation,’ so it’s said – showing up to grub for votes at an ‘event’ staged by the notorious hate-gang, the IslamoNazi FPI.
Hate-gang on the march in Jakarta
- You can read the whole story, in the Sydney Morning Herald, of all places Jakarta governor contender Anies Baswedan under fire for meeting …and such international attention indicates the extent of the problem, currently exemplified by a geezer named Anies Baswedan.
- Anies Baswedan is running for the position of Governor of Jakarta, against the incumbent, Ahok.
- Ahok’s campaign is doing quite well, despite the fact he’s on trial for ‘blasphemy…’
- …an offence one expects to find mentioned in history books, not in the courts of the “world’s largest Muslim democracy,” as this big country is often described.
- One of those loudest in demands for the most bizarre prosecution is Habib Rizieq, a fanatic who has publicly said the accused governor should be killed!
“We encourage the government to process the death penalty for Ahok as soon as possible,” said Rizieq. http://www.suara.com/news/2016/10/14/134313/
One might expect that respectable politicians would support free speech, on religion or anything else, or at least denounce deranged death demands.
Or at the VERY least avoid at all costs public association with a man like Rizieq.
NOT Anies Baswedan!
He opted to share a platform with that ranting Islamist, seen with Anies in the photo below.
Baswedan, basking in Rizieq’s smiles.=============
One of Anies’ men told the SMH that the whole thing had been blown out of proportion because it was the FPI. “We understand that.”
Imagine if a candidate for Mayor of New York or any American, or British, or Australian city had agreed to honour a KKK rally with his or her presence!
That too might have been blown out of proportion, and no wonder.
Decent people do NOT consort with sectarian vigilante gangs – or at least should not.
For those of use who love Indonesia, this is little short of heart-breaking.As it is for millions of decent Indonesian too, one of whom is also quoted in the SMH –“Will this picture be remembered as the day moderates die?” tweeted Evan Laksmana, an analyst with the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Indonesia.He’s not the only Indonesian lamenting that “Anies Baswedan, once known as a global voice of moderate Islam, campaigned at FPI HQ.”–Never mind.There’s a third candidate, Agus Yudhoyono, son of ex-President SBY. Agus has not seen fit to, and is unlikely to, repudiate his father’s unforgettable call for Indonesia’s awful ‘blasphemy’ law to be made a global fatwa.
- No reasons to becheerful then, if Agus comes out on top.
- So this morning, awaiting the arrival of a welcome Indonesian visitor, then later hoping to sit out front in the glorious Indonesian sunshine…
- …maybe after a lunch in my local warteg – $1.50 for a big plate of yummy Indonesian food! – perhaps you can understand why I don’t dwell as much as once I did on Indonesian news.
It’s simply too depressing.