Jakarta – Decent Muslims Challenge Islamist Witch-Hunt!
Home at last, and just in time, as I can hear the rain beating down outside.
However, this morning I was delighted to wake to another sunny Jakarta day, and even more delighted to see the headline in The Jakarta Globe this week…
We are devoted Muslims, not offended by Ahok’s statement…
The report comes from the Pulau Seribu ( Thousand Islands) – just off the northern shore of our ever-interesting capital city – islands where I once spent a most pleasant short break.
- The islands are a popular weekend destination for less affluent people here, not expensive to reach or to stay over for a night or two.
- But they have been in the headlines a lot here recently…
- Jakarta’s Governor Ahok
- …because that was where Governor Ahok made his jocular aside for which the worst elements in Indonesia want him put to death.
“We encourage the government to process the death penalty for Ahok as soon as possible,” said Rizieq. http://www.suara.com/news/2016/10/14/134313/
- That’s Habib Rizieq, so-called ‘high priest’ of the self-styled “Islam Defenders’ Front” – the notorious white-shirt vigilante gang, the FPI.
- But now the overwhelmingly Muslim population of those islands have made their voice heard, refuting the bigot claim that his joke was ‘blasphemy.’
- The Chairman of the Al Makmuriah Great Mosque board there, Faturrahman, set the record straight – he was actually present when Ahok made his speech that day – by saying that what Ahok said was not insulting and did not defame Islam…We are devoted Muslims, not offended by Ahok’s statement …
- It’s to be hoped that many more decent Muslims will dissociate themselves from the witch-hunt, perhaps in response to the way some of the fanatics openly talk down to them.
- Last week, the FPI, who are notoriously sexist as well as sectarian…
…hit a new low in talking down to Muslims who don’t share their arrogant attitude, by which I mean their claim to be more qualified than others on who is and who isn’t Muslim enough. Jakarta Mosque Mayhem – IslamoNazi Louts Silence Moderate!
Yet another Habib -the name’s said to denote descent from their Prophet! Habibs Galore – White-Shirt Gang Leaders Go On Trial!
Their Jakarta Gauleiter, Habib Novel Bakmukmin – the same geezer who dissed women with that outburst about their ‘limitations’ – seemed to evince an almost archaic snobbery when he called the residents who laughed upon hearing Ahok’s statement –
- – wait for it –
Hell, that sounds as stuck-up as some of the pinko expats who send me insulting snobbish comments about how I so disgracefully live and work and dine out among ordinary Indonesian folks.