No sooner have we reported on the Indonesian President’s alarm at the expansion of democracy in his country, than we have to highlight the shrinkage of religious liberty there.
Almost needless to say, it’s back to Depok, a West Java municipality that abuts Jakarta, and has been the scene of disgusting persecution for years.
- The latest episode occurred this weekend, vicious victimisation of the peaceful and inoffensive Ahmadiyah minority.
- There’s apparently a video via this Metro TV link. http://news.metrotvnews.com/peristiwa/ObzB7mlb-muncul-seruan-aksi-242-menolak-ahmadiyah-di-sawangan
- A mob-march on a small Ahmadi congregation, bigots determined to shut them down? Will the police drive the bigots back, or force the Ahmadis to knuckle under?
- If the cops allow suppression of religious liberty in Depok, it sure won’t be the first time. Even unlawful seizure of the minority’s property has gone unpunished in the past.
- They make me want to vomit, all the usual suspects reportedly involved.
- But a few others, people one might have hoped would speak up for pluralist values, have aligned themselves with Depok’s Dark Agers.
- Metro reports the following have appended their names to an appeal for a bigot mob to prevent the minority creed worshipping God.
- Ahmad Daman Huri, head of the Islamic boarding school Al Karimiyah;
- Abdullah Syafii, MUI Chairman in Sawangan;
- Syahlani, NU Leader in Sawangan;
- Mustofa, Muhammadiyah Leader in Sawangan;
- Agus Rahmat Djaelani, FPI Chairman, Depok City
- ….these outfits are infamous for their intolerance.
- But more depressing is the inclusion of the NU notable, and the man from Muhammadiyah.
- Those organisations were formerly regarded as moderate.
- Din Sanyuddin, MUI chief
- Who knows, since Muhammadiyah’s kingpin, Din, became MUI’s also? I’d hoped Din might stamp out the backward elements among the ‘scholars’ – like their neanderthal enthusiasm for FGM and stoning adulterers.
- But so far no joy.
- And now we read of the Depok Muhammadiyah man lending support to suppression of religious freedom.
- It’ll be down to the Depok cops.
- Going back a year or so, we heard encouraging noises from the Presidential Palace. Jokowi Urges Cops To Protect Minorities – in Depok?
- But will those police officers heed their president or will innocent people suffer once again at the hands of jihadist jerks?